This post is sponsored by al fresco. I’m pleased to partner with them to bring you this delicious recipe featuring their products. All opinions are mine alone. #Ad #alfresco #newyearwithalfresco
Here we are in the middle of January aka the middle of soup (and stew) season!
While I enjoy letting my soups and stews simmer on the stove or slow cooker all afternoon, it is nice to have those go-to dinner recipes that you know are both healthy and filling, but also quick and easy as well. This recipe is made in one pot and done in 30 minutes! Not to mention is packs over 23 grams of protein per serving.
The protein comes from ingredients like spinach, cannellini beans and al fresco chicken sausage. I am using their Roasted Pepper & Asiago flavor in this stew to compliment the other Italian flavors. I’ve had several flavors of al fresco chicken sausage and this one is one of my favorites. It comes fully cooked which helps cut down on cook time so you can get dinner from the stovetop to the table even faster! It’s an extremely versatile ingredient which is why we always have it on hand for quick, healthy, weeknight dinners.
On a cold, winter evening, this Spicy Tuscan Chicken Sausage & Peppers Stew defines comfort and warmth with a bit of a kick for all you spicy food fans. The kick comes from the crushed red pepper flakes. You can add more or less than what the recipe calls for according to your preference, but I used a heaping half teaspoon and think it is just right.
Let’s dive in..
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 11 oz al fresco roasted pepper & asiago chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 30 oz cannellini beans
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 24 oz red pasta sauce (I used a tomato and basil sauce)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (optional)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, packed
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Shredded parmesan (optional)
- In your pot or cast iron Dutch oven (this is what I used), heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Then add diced yellow bell pepper and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the sliced chicken sausage then turn up heat to medium-high. Continue to stir so ingredients do not stick to the pot.
- Stir in minced garlic, pepper flakes, rosemary, garlic powder and salt. Then add cannellini beans, chicken broth and red pasta sauce. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Optional - Uncover and stir in flour to thicken.
- Stir a let cook for additional 5 minutes, uncovered. Then remove from heat and stir in spinach
- Lower the heat, cover the pan and cook 10 minutes. Uncover the pan and simmer 5 more minutes to thicken the sauce. Remove from the heat and stir in the spinach. Then stir in the grated parmesan.
- Top with shredded parmesan (optional), serve warm and enjoy!