A traditional holiday drink for the whole family to enjoy!
Wassail is a hot mulled cider drink with lots of warm and cozy spices and a bit of citrus. It is bursting with fall flavor and extremely easy to throw together for a cold night or holiday gathering.
I have very fond memories of my parents making wassail during Christmas. The version I am sharing here is non-alcoholic, but you can also make it with a dark liquor such as bourbon.
I love that there is a story behind it during the holiday season dating back many, many centuries.
Wassail is traditionally drunk as part of wassailing, a Medieval Christmastide English drinking ritual with hopes to ensure a good cider apple harvest in the next year.
Not only will your belly be filled with warm and cozy cheer, but your home will smell amazing as well!
Let’s dive in..
- 1/2 gallon apple cider
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 15 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- star anise - optional
- Mix all ingredients together (leaving out the sliced apple and orange) in crock pot, then let cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Add in apple and orange slices. Add star anise – optional.
- Serve warm in mugs and enjoy!