This post is sponsored by al fresco. I’m pleased to partner with them to bring you this delicious recipe featuring their products. All opinions are mine alone. #Ad #TasteOfHome # alfresco
When I look back on my childhood there are a few meals that I recall being in our weekly or monthly dinner rotation. One of the meals that I always looked forward to were my dad’s stuffed peppers! Each time, they were a little different but they always felt like home and brought a sense of comfort. It was a family favorite!
For this recipe, I took dad’s stuffed pepper concept which usually consisted of Italian flavors as the base, and used al fresco’s Roasted Pepper & Asiago Chicken Sausage as the protein! We keep al fresco chicken sausage on hand for healthy, time-saving dinners since it is fully cooked. Al fresco offers a wide variety of flavors to mix things up throughout the week. The Roasted Pepper & Asiago flavor works great in these Italian Chicken Sausage Stuffed Peppers!
If you’ve never tried making stuffed peppers before, they are actually a fun meal to make because the bell peppers are a neat vessel for the rice and chicken sausage mixture. They also make for a healthier “comfort food” option!
Before we get to the recipe, I wanted to take a moment to say, I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I have for all these years.
Let’s dive in..
- 8 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow or a combo of each)
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups white rice
- 1 package al fresco Roasted Pepper & Asiago Chicken Sausage, chopped and halved
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil seasoning
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Cook rice according to box/package instructions. While rice is cooking, dice green pepper and onion, then set aside.
- Cut bell peppers in half vertically, then remove seeds.
- On a sheet pan, cook unstuffed peppers (open face up) in oven for 10-12 minutes. Then remove from oven.
- While peppers are roasting, take a medium skillet, sauté diced green pepper and onion in olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until slightly caramelized.
- Reduce heat, then mix in cooked rice, chopped chicken sausage and tomato sauce. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Then stir in garlic powder until all ingredients are well combined.
- Stuff the peppers with the rice and chicken sausage mixture until slightly mounded on top.
- Sprinkle with shredded parmesan and dried basil. Cook for 12 more minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!