Chocolate Frosting Recipe + How To Dress Up A Box Cake For Easter
One of my favorite baking hacks when I am short on time, is to take box cake mix or box brownie mix and give it my own spin.
This Easter, things with a 10 ½ month old are busier than ever so I took a chocolate box cake mix and dressed it up with my homemade chocolate frosting and favorite Easter candy!
I used a hollow chocolate bunny and Robins Eggs Whoppers candy to decorate and my chocolate frosting comes together in just minutes.
I hope you all have a blessed Easter 2021!
- 1 ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ½ - 5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ¾ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4-5 tbsp milk
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, beat the butter until fluffy.
- On the low mixer setting, mix in 2 cups powdered sugar. Once combined, mix on medium-high for 20 seconds.
- Then on low speed, slowly mix in cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt.
- Mix in rest of powdered sugar about ½ cup at a time, alternating with 2 tablespoons of milk until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Once everything is combined, beat on high speed for 20-25 seconds.
- Spread evenly over cake or pipe onto cupcakes. Serve & enjoy!
If frosting is too thick, add in a little extra milk. If it's too thin, add in a little more powdered sugar.
Frosts 24 cupcakes or 2 9-inch round cakes