Day 3 of my 2020 Cookie Week is a festive twist on a classic Snickerdoodle!
I love a classic Snickerdoodle, but when I sat down to brainstorm how I can evolve this Christmastime favorite into something new and updated, all I could think about was cardamom.
I don’t work with cardamom a lot, but it is an ingredient that always peaks my interest this time of year.
If you are new to cardamom, it has a very strong aroma and is almost menthol-like flavor, making it a great addition to holiday baking and wonderful pairing with cinnamon, just like I did here in these Cardamom Snickerdoodles!
Baker tip: These cookies spread (a lot) so after rolling in the sugar coating, be sure to sprinkle a bit more sugar coating on top of the dough balls once they are on the baking sheet. This will allow the cardamom and cinnamon flavor to shine in each bite!
Let’s dive in..
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, the set aside.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or large mixing bowl with hand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add dry mix into wet mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, make sugar coating by combining sugar, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls with hands, then coat with sugar mixture.
- Place on prepared baking sheet about 3 inches apart. Then add about 1/8 tsp additional sugar coating to each ball.
- Bake 11-13 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy!