Buffalo Chicken Football Hand Pies
I took my go-to Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe and gave it a makeover for the Super Bowl!
When I think of game day food, Buffalo Chicken dip is the first thing that comes to mind. Between College Football Season and the NFL Season, I probably make this dip 10 times a year. It’s just a classic game day dip! And let’s be real, the food is just as important as the game.
Since you all know I love celebrating any and all occasions, I had to create a football themed recipe.
I started by halving my usual Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe since I knew I wouldn’t need nearly as much as I usually make. Then I stuffed it inside flakey pie dough to make football shaped hand pies. It doesn’t get more festive than that, am I right?
I even had extra dip left over to snack on with chips and carrot sticks!
To achieve the football shaped dough, I used a 6-inch football shaped cookie cutter. Here is the one I have from Amazon.
You can also trace your own stencil and cut the dough with a knife. I suggest keeping the 6-inch size if you go this route.
These Buffalo Chicken Football Hand Pies will impress your guests and be talked about more than the halftime show!
- 10oz shredded chicken, cooked
- 8oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup buffalo wing sauce
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 rolls pre-made pie crust
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 egg
- 6 inch football shaped cookie cutter or DIY stencil
- Place cooked chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch, and cheddar cheese in slow cooker. Lightly stir until mixed (cream cheese will remain in block).
- Cook on low for 60-90 minutes, stirring occasionally as cream cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 F. Place parchment paper on large baking sheet, then set aside.
- Lightly whisk egg and 1 tbsp water in small bowl, then set aside. Using the football cookie cutter or DIY stencil, cut 16 footballs from the unrolled pie dough. (Do not discard excess dough yet.)
- Place 8 footballs on prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush edges with egg wash.
- Scoop and about 3 tbsp buffalo chicken mixture onto footballs. Sprinkle with green onion, then place remaining 8 footballs on top.
- Using a fork, crimp the sides edges of the footballs together until completely closed. Lightly brush crimped edges and center of the top footballs with egg wash.
- Using excess dough, cut thing strips for the football laces. Then lightly brush laces with egg wash.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!