These Baked Ham and Cheddar Hand Pies are bites of flaky, ooey-gooey goodness with a hint of sweet from a sprinkle of brown sugar in each pastry making them the perfect sweet and savory breakfast, brunch or lunch dish!
I knew these would be easy to throw together using store bought pie dough which cuts out a lot of time and ingredients vs. making your own pie dough from scratch. I love baking from scratch, but pastry dough is not my thing.. just being real here. So store bought pie dough works just as well!
Here is the link to the set of dough presses I use for cutting dough in perfect circles, empanadas, hand pies, pop tarts and more: Set of 3 Dough Presses
The great thing about hand pies is that you can choose from both sweet and savory ingredients and essentially stuff them with anything. I choose a classic ham and cheese combo for an easy week day lunch. I sprinkled the deli ham with brown sugar to add a little sweet element and shredded cheddar which I feel pairs best with ham. Dip them in Dijon Mustard for an even better experience for your taste buds!
As a result, Jared said they were the best things I ever made and proceeded to eat 3 in a row. So there you have it.. these are the “best things I have ever made”!
Let’s dive in..
- 2 prepackaged pie crusts (I use Pillsbury)
- 6 slices deli ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F then prepare baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Using a dough cutter/biscuit cutter, cut 12 round discs from dough. Place 6 on prepared baking sheet.
- Top each with 1 slice of ham, brown sugar, then cheese.
- With the remaining 6 discs of dough, cut a small X in the center for ventilation. Then place on top of pies.
- Using a fork, crimp the circumference of top and bottom dough discs to close the pies.
- Whisk together egg and water for egg wash, then lightly brush the tops and edges of pies.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm and enjoy!