Happy first day of Spring! I thought I would share a fun and colorful recipe to kick of the new season, and these Funfetti Cake Donuts are the perfect treat for the occasion. I mean, what is more fun than Funfetti, right?
Funfetti donut batter is extremely easy to make homemade with your basic baking ingredients. I can almost guarantee that you have each of the ingredients in your baking cupboard already!
One thing that you may need to pick up if you don’t already own one, is a donut pan. I will link mine here if you want one to arrive in 2 days with Amazon Prime: Wilton Donut Pans
And you can’t have Funfetti without rainbow sprinkles, so you can add these to your Amazon cart with the donut pan: Rainbow Sprinkles
This Funfetti Cake Donut recipe has great texture! They are “perfectly soft and moist”, says my trusted taste-tester (Jared). Additionally, I added more milk to the glaze to be thin. If you want more of a frosting/icing consistency, then opt out of the extra milk.
Finally, you can top these donuts off with more sprinkles! Sprinkles don’t have an age limit, do they? Because they can seriously make anyone’s day brighter!
Let’s dive into this recipe!
- 1 1/8 cup all-purpose baking flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sprinkles (rainbow sprinkles for funfetti look)
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease donut pan then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate, medium bowl whisk together the milk, melted butter, and egg. Gently mix in the wet mixture into the dry mixture until combined. (I suggest doing this by hand so that you do not over-mix).
- Mix in the sprinkles.
- Spoon mixture into prepared donut pan (about ¾ of the way full).
- Bake donuts for 10-12 minutes.
- Let donuts cool in pan or 5 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack for another 5 minutes.
- While donuts are cooling, prepare the vanilla glaze by combing powdered sugar, vanilla extract, milk and melted butter together in a small mixing bowl. (I suggest using the lowest setting on a hand mixer.)
- Dip the tops of the cooled donuts into the bowl of glaze, then top with sprinkles. Allow to set on cooling rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy!
For vanilla glaze, more milk and powdered sugar can be added for desired texture
Happy Spring Baking!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links and I could make a small commission. Thank you for supporting the brands who help make this site possible.