Happy Cinco de Mayo!
In honor of my favorite cuisine and second favorite food holiday (behind Thanksgiving, of course), I am sharing this lighter version of a classic taco salad.
This recipe is a quick and easy salad to throw together for any Cinco Celebration, pot luck or even dinner rotation for Meatless Monday. This will definitely be added to our weekly dinner rotation once baby girl arrives because of how quick and easy it is to make. Plus it’s easy to add or remove ingredients as you please each week. Next time, I’m adding avocado for some healthy fats!
- 15 oz romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can whole kernel sweet corn rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium orange pepper, chopped
- 1/4 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 3/4 cup medium salsa
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- fresh lime juice - optional
- tortilla strips - optional
- In a large mixing bowl or salad serving bowl, toss together lettuce, black beans, sweet corn, peppers onion and cheese until well combined.
- In a blender (I used my Nutribullet), combine sour cream, salsa and cumin. Blend until smooth. Pour dressing over salad, then gently toss until well combined with the salad.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over top and top with tortilla strips - optional
- Serve & Enjoy!
I hope everyone enjoys their Cinco de Mayo! I’ll be enjoying tacos with the fam!