When I think of scones, my mind automatically goes to a sweet flavored scone rather than savory. However, my taste buds LOVE savory scones packed with a punch of herbs and cheese!
This Zucchini Parmesan Scone recipe is one of the best to come out of our kitchen.
Zucchini makes my top 3 list of favorite vegetables. In general it is easy to work with, but baking with zucchini is a whole different story. It holds so much moisture, which in baking can cause your subject to spread or come out soggy and wet.
To remove as much moisture as possible, I like to put the shredded zucchini in layers of paper towels to pat dry by hand. It instantly and soaks up the moisture. A cheesecloth is another alternative to the paper towels. A mesh strainer is also a practical tool for the job.
If you are interested in this recipe, please do not overlook this step!
I use a scone pan to shape and bake my scones, but these work just as fine without one. If you are looking for a great scone pan, here is the one that I have.
Because these are a savory scone, these Zucchini Parmesan Scones make a great addition to any dinner menu. I personally love them for brunch!
Let’s dive in..
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 large egg
- 1 stick butter, unsalted
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°(F).
- If using a scone pan, lightly spray with cooking spray and set aside or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, pink Himalayan salt and oregano.
- Cut the butter into tiny cubes then with hands, work it into the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg.
- Then add light sour cream and combine with flour mixture in large mixing bowl.
- Fold in grated zucchini and ½ cup of shredded parmesan until well combined.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until it stays together.
- If using a scone pan, place the dough in each divided section. If using a baking sheet, form the dough into a 9 -inch circle then cut the dough into 8 wedges. Then place them on the parchment paper.
- Top each scone with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 21-24 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Do you prefer sweet scones or savory scones?