Crispy Chickpea Couscous Salad
Couscous – the food so nice, they named it twice!
If you have never had couscous before, I strongly urge you to try it. It is super filling and pairs well with just about anything. This recipe contains several different flavors and textures making each bite delicious and refreshing.
Today’s Garden Ingredient: Cucumber
Here’s What You Will Need:
For The Couscous
- 3 cups couscous
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
For The Chickpeas
- 1 can cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For The Remaining Salad Ingredients
- 1 ½ cup yellow corn kernels
- 1 ½ cup diced tomato
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cucumber
- ½ cup green onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
Here’s How To Make It
- In a medium pot, bring the chicken broth, olive oil, butter and seasonings to a boil.
- Add the couscous, stir quickly to combine, cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the couscous to large mixing bowl and stir in the parmesan and parsley.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork for 2 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and cumin over medium flame. Then add chickpeas and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and stir occasionally until chickpeas begin to brown and become crispy on the outside.
- In a separate large frying pan, lightly brown the yellow corn in olive oil.
- In the large mixing bowl (with the couscous), mix in the chopped cucumbers, diced tomatoes, green onions and yellow corn.
- Toss in olive oil and top with crispy chickpeas.
- Serve and Enjoy
What is your favorite chickpea recipe?