The first Friday in June is National Donut Day! A day dedicated to one of my favorite foods, is a holiday I can and will always get behind. If you know me, you know I love a good food holiday to celebrate and this is one I never miss.
For this year’s recipe, I am sharing a simple Blueberry Baked Donut. The batter is refined sugar free and uses basic pantry ingredients. The glaze is not required and does include some sugar, but I only lightly drizzle it so the blueberries are not outshined by the sweet glaze. And I should also mention these are so, so light and fluffy!
Speaking of blueberries – they are one of my top fruits to bake with (only behind apples in the Fall). I have so many blueberry recipes planned for the summer, because berry season is in full swing! Blueberry Muffins, Blueberry Oat Bars, Blueberry Jam.. you name it, I’m making it.
This Blueberry Baked Donut recipe is small batch, but can be easily doubled for larger quantities.
Let’s dive in..
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray, then set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir wet ingredients - milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, maple syrup and olive oil. Set aside.
- In a separate (medium) mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Then lightly whisk wet ingredients in with dry mixture.
- Spoon batter into donut pan, about ¾ full. Gently press blueberries into the batter once they are in the donut cavity. Bake 9-11 minutes. Let cool in pan before removing to cooling rack.
- While donuts are cooling, whisk together ingredients for glaze – confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Drizzle (using whisk) over cooled donuts, then allow glaze to set for 10-15 minutes before serving.