I have been in love with this red velvet recipe since Jared and I experimented with it for his birthday last year. My favorite thing about it (other than its delicious taste) is that that it is not limited to any season. Red velvet works in Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter! This particular recipe has a summery spin for the upcoming 4th of July holiday. In fact, it’s perfect for any patriotic holiday celebration!
TIP: This is not a very complicated or time-consuming recipe to begin with. To save even more time, consider using store bought cream cheese frosting. I will confess that I cheated here and used store bought frosting. I have yet to create a homemade cream cheese frosting that I am 100% satisfied with and I want to be completely in love with it before I share it with you all!
Let’s dive in, shall we?!
Here’s What You Will Need:
- Red food coloring
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt (I prefer pink Himalayan salt)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Fresh blueberries
- Cupcake liners
- Piping tip(s)
- Piping bag
- 2 containers whipped cream cheese frosting
Here’s How To Make It:
*Yields 2 dozen cupcakes*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl sift together the dry ingredients: sugar, flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. Then set aside.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, beat together the wet ingredients: vegetable oil, vanilla extract, buttermilk, eggs and enough food coloring until the combination of wet ingredients are as red as you would like.
- Mix in the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until the batter is free of any lumps. (I use the KitchenAid hand mixer in ice blue)
- Fill the cupcake liners ½ full with batter.
- Bake for 19-21 minutes.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before piping with cream cheese frosting.
- While cupcakes are cooling, fill your piping bag with cream cheese frosting.
- Pipe icing onto the cupcakes and top with blueberries to achieve the patriotic (red, white and blue) theme.
- Serve and Enjoy!
What treat do you love to serve for July 4th Celebrations?
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through a link in this post, I may make a small commission. Thank you for supporting brands who support BWTB.