Valentine’s Day is less than two weeks away and I have been dreaming about all the tasty Valentine’s treats I can create! These Heart Shaped Strawberry Hand Pies were so delicious and extremely easy to make.
Hand pies are one of my favorite things to make because the options for fillings are endless. I typically use premade pie crust to save time and to make my recipes more user friendly, but if you want to make your own pastry dough, it is highly encouraged!
These hand pies are filled with a sweet strawberry compote that you can throw together on your stovetop in just minutes. The flakey pie crust and gooey strawberry mixture is a winning combo.
Let’s dive in..
- Heart shaped cookie cutter (I used a 3”)
- 2 Pillsbury pie crusts
- 1 ½ cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp monk fruit sweetener optional
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Then line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a cutting board, unroll the premade pie crust dough. Use heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out 12 hearts (6 from each roll of dough). Then place 6 hearts on the parchment paper about 2 inches apart. With the remaining 6 hearts, cut a small X in the center for ventilation while baking. Leave on cutting board for later.
- In a small sauce pan, combine all ingredients for the strawberry compote. The monk fruit sweetener is optional for added sweetness if needed. Cook on medium heat for 9-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mixture should thicken toward the end. Set aside to cool.
- While strawberry mixture cools, make your egg wash by whisking together egg and milk.
- Assemble hand pies by topping each heart on the baking sheet with about 2 tablespoons of strawberry compote. Then top each with the remaining 6 hearts so that the X’s are on top.
- Crimp together the edges with a fork, then lightly brush edges with egg wash.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve & enjoy!