We are a little over a month away from Halloween and this morning my daughter woke up to see my Halloween pajama pants I was wearing that had ghosts on them and she repeatedly said “pooky” (aka spooky)!
So I guess you can say we are all ready for Halloween in this house.
That means all the Halloween content is coming your way!
With so many fun fall activities on the calendar, I wanted to set a goal to simplify dinner for the rest of the season so that I can spend more time with my family.
One of my objectives with this blog is to share short cuts to creating classic meals so that you are not spending hours cooking for your family instead of spending time with them.
This Chicken Pot Pie is prepped in just 15 minutes and you can throw it in the oven for the next 35-40. That’s all!
The two short cuts I use the most are meal prepping chicken ahead of time and using frozen or store-bought pie crust/dough.
I typically throw chicken breast in the Crockpot on Monday’s and shred it to use in meals throughout the week. Here I used that precooked, shredded chicken for the pot pie and it saves so much time!
I also used a frozen pie crust as the vessel for the pot pie filling and store-bought pie crust dough for the ghost and star décor.
Here I used a ghost shaped cookie cutter to add a “pooky” flare to a classic recipe. I then used a straw to poke eyes in the dough. Any cookie cutter can be used to customize this pot pie for any holiday or occasion.
- 1 frozen pie crust, thawed
- 1 roll premade pie dough
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 12 oz frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F or according to frozen pie crust package instructions.
- Place thawed pie crust shell on a baking sheet. Then set aside.
- Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook onion until translucent, adding frozen peas and carrots into skillet halfway through. Stir in garlic powder, pepper and salt. Cook for 4-6 minutes.
- Place vegetable mixture in a medium mixing bowl. Then add chicken and cream of chicken soup. Stir until well combined. Pour mixture into pie crust shell.
- With the cookie cutter of your choice, cut shapes using the sheet of pie dough. Arrange on top of vegetable mixture.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!