When a cupcake has maple buttercream frosting topped with bacon and a waffle, it officially becomes a Brunchcake! I mean what goes better with a waffle than maple and butter?!
I initially created this recipe for National Waffle Day, but it is quickly becoming one of my favorite brunch recipes! And this maple buttercream will go perfect with so many Fall baking projects!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 mini Eggo waffles
- 5 slices bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add cupcake liners to cupcake/muffin tin, then set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add butter, egg whites, sour cream, vanilla, and milk. Mix until well combined.
- Fill liners half way full.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- In a standmixer (using the paddle attachment), slightly cream the butter. Then add confectioners’ sugar ¼ cup at a time until well combined. Then add maple syrup, vanilla and salt until combined.
- While cupcakes cool, bump oven heat up to 375 degrees. Cook bacon for 23-25 minutes on a foil lined tray. Bacon should be crispy enough to break into thirds.
- Then bump oven up to 450 degrees to cook mini Eggo waffles for 5 minutes.
- Pipe icing onto cooled cupcakes, then top with mini Eggo waffle and 1/3 slice of bacon.
- Serve & Enjoy!