Another day, another apple recipe with the apples that we got from the orchard!
Apple pie is hands down my favorite pie recipe, but mini hand pies are in a league of their own. With this recipe, I took the American classic and shrunk it without losing all the flavor. Hand pies are so fun because everyone gets their own and it makes them feel extra special. Better yet, you don’t have to share with anyone else when you have your own individual dessert!
Before we dive into the recipe, a couple tips — Here I used Pink Lady apples because they bake the best in my opinion. I also amped up the cinnamon because tis the season for all the holidays smells and flavors, right? So feel free to adjust the cinnamon.
- 2 rolls prepackaged pie dough
- 2 cups peeled, cored (diced)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F.
- Roll out the prepackaged dough.
- With a hand pie mold or round cookie cutter, cut 12 discs (I used a 5 inch mold).
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss together apples, sugar, ground cinnamon and vanilla extract then set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer half of the circles to baking sheet and brush the edges with egg wash.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling in the center of each circle, leaving a border around the filling.
- Place the remaining circles on top to form a pie.
- Using a fork, crimp around the edges to seal.
- Cut a small x-shaped slit in the center of each pie.
- Brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Top with vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Serve & Enjoy!