This Autumn Chicken Salad is a seasonal variation of my Healthier Chicken Salad recipe. It’s packed full of fall favorites and is ready in under 10 minutes!
One of Jared’s favorite meals is chicken salad. When he asks me to make it, the entire container is gone in the blink of an eye. A few days ago he said, “I have a recipe idea for you.. chicken salad, but make it fall vibes.” His exact words!
I knew my usual Healthier Chicken Salad recipe would make for a great base and all I had to do was add in some seasonal ingredients such as apples, pecans, golden raisins and maple syrup. Like any fall obsessed girl, I jumped right on it and got to work. You don’t have to ask me twice about anything related to fall – especially a fall recipe!
What makes this a healthier chicken salad recipe?
I use Greek yogurt and very little light mayonnaise, where traditional chicken salad used more regular mayonnaise. This recipe is also packed with fresh seasonal produce such as red seedless grapes and apples. To lighten the recipe up even more, you can substitute the croissant for another vessel such as a lettuce wrap. Jared also enjoys eating chicken salad with crackers which I think is a great idea to mix things up when you don’t want a full sandwich.
I used two different apples in this recipe for three reasons.
- I used a red apple and a green apple to give more color to the recipe.
- Double the crunchy texture.
- Cooking and baking with apples is a science. Each type of apple offers its own flavor and I wanted to add both a sour and sweet component.
This Autumn Chicken Salad is a great option for a light lunch, brunch for a crowd and works well when meal prepping for the week.
- 25 oz. shredded chicken, cooked
- 1 ½ cup red seedless grapes, halved
- ¾ cup Gala or Honeycrisp apple, diced
- ¾ cup Granny Smith apple, diced
- ¾ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 cup pecans
- sandwich croissants
- In a large mixing bowl, add shredded chicken, grapes, apples. Mix until well combined.
- Add Greek yogurt, light mayonnaise, maple syrup, cumin, salt, pepper. Mix again until well combined. Then stir in raisins and pecans.
- Cut croissants in half then top with chicken salad.
* store in air tight container in refrigerator up to 6 days.